When assembling your Baromax connector you will need a few supplies to complete your project.
In addition to the Baromax connector, the Inline or Bulkhead Backshell, and your cable of choice, there are a few materials and tools that are required to help you create a quality connector.
- wire cutters
- wire strippers
- 120 grit sandpaper
- Kimtech Kimwipes
- 99% isopropyl alcohol (IPA)
- safety glasses
- safety gloves (latex or nitrile)
- Baromax Epoxy Kit
- Epoxy Dispensing Gun for two-part adhesives
- Spring clamps (2” jaw)
- Cable Assembly Jig (see parts below)
- rosin flux pen or flux
- soldering iron
- solder (63/37 solder recommended)
- solder wick
- clean brush
- digital multimeter
Since you will be soldering your own connector, it’s best to take the precautions and wear both safety glasses and either latex or nitrile gloves. Additionally, Baromax Epoxy is not something you want to get in your eyes or on your hands so there’s more than one reason to wear glasses and gloves. You can buy both of these at your local hardware store or online.
Creating the best underwater connections always begin with proper cable and connector prep.
In order for the Baromax Epoxy to bond and seal your connectors, it’s essential that you use the recommended materials to clean your components prior to potting.
To ensure that the epoxy has rough surfaces to bond to, abrade the bonding surfaces on your cables, connectors, and backshells. We recommend using 120 grit sandpaper. Sanding your components covers them in debris so the next step is to clean them. Douse a Kimtech Kimwipe with 99% isopropyl alcohol (IPA) and gently wipe your parts to clean them from any oils and debris. You can buy IPA and Kimwipes at hardware stores or online.
For cable prep, use typical wire cutters rated for your particular gauge of wire and wire strippers to expose the cable’s individual wires. These tools can all be bought at either your local hardware store or online.
Cable Assembly Jig
- qty. 1 Cable Assembly Jig Post (SM-1545)
- qty. 1 Cable Assembly Jig Base (SM-1544)
- qty. 2 Cable Alignment Clamp (SM-1539)
- qty. 1 Inline Backshell Alignment Clamp (SM-1540)
- qty. 1 Bulkhead Backshell Alignment Piece (SM-1541)
- qty. 5 M6 x 16 thumb screws (SM-1547)
- qty. 4 #4-22 x ¾” wood screws (optional)